First Church of Christ Scientist, Princeton New Jersey
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 5, 2017
Renewal, repair and restoration is underway at First Church of Christ, Scientist located at 16 Bayard Lane, which is an easy walk from the Einstein statue and the battle monument.
Bregenzer Brothers, a family-owned, local contracting firm known for artisan skills and attention to detail, is replacing the slate roof and steeple. Clearly pleased to play an important role in historical preservation, Mike Bregenzer states, “We have been working with the church for many years and feel privileged to be included in this significant restoration project.”
The church building is the expression of the sizable talent of Chorlton and Martin Architects of Princeton. Richard Chorlton and John Gibson Martin worked patiently and imaginatively to design a colonial-style structure that would be a symbol of the dignity and beauty of Christian Science and would complement its surroundings.
As early as 1910, a small band of Christian Scientists in Princeton began to meet weekly and to hold religious services. By 1950, the membership had grown significantly to fill every pew at the first service in the new church edifice at 16 Bayard Lane.
First Church of Christ, Scientist Princeton is a branch church of The Mother Church, The First Church of Christ, Scientist, in Boston. A lifelong student of the Bible, Mary Baker Eddy gained a powerful insight in 1866 when she experienced a dramatic recovery from a life-threatening accident after reading one of Christ Jesus’ healings. This and other experiences led her to write her seminal book, “Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures,” that teaches how to turn to God and have healing. Eddy went on to establish the Church of Christ, Scientist, as a Christian denomination and worldwide movement of spiritual healers.
Website and more information for services to our community is at www.csprinceton.org.
Steve Drake email@example.com
Assistant Committee on Publication for FCCS Princeton